All terms and their definitions only apply to Door of Dimensions world. They don't follow any particular belief. The order also applies to Door of Dimensions world ONLY.
Level of magical ability (in increasing order):
- Basic level: Possess any unusual but not spectacular ability. This form is usually expressed by the talent of learning something quickly. Normal protege child, someone that is able to master a skill fast, a unusual talent, etc. are examples that fall under this category.
- Magician: Possess ability to do unusual tricks. They're masters of illusions.
- Psychic: Possess rare abilities such as telepathy, clairvoyance, clairsentience...
- Medium psychic: Psychics that have a varied range of ability from seeing to communicating with the dead.
- Witch: Also can go by wiccan, priest/priestess depending on the culture. Possess ability to perform various spells and concoct potions.
- Wizard: Possess vast knowledge and understanding about magic. Knowledge are learned and honed throughout their lives but they do possess the ability to understand magic more than others. They're teachers of witches and magicians.
- Sorcerer/Sorceress: Possess raw natural magical ability (In other words, they're born with these magical abilities). These abilities cannot be learned but can be honed. Magical ability is defined as ability to do something that even wizard can't do. For example, wizard can make an illusion of a knife but only a true sorcerer like David can manifest a real knife. Usually, a sorcerer is blessed with the talent to learn and understand magic. Depending on their specific ability, they tend to specialize in what they can do rather than spending time to learn everything.
Of course, things basically follow this order. However, some power exchange and power gain can be obtained. (Hint: Sabur was a master magician.)
Since this is a guide, although it has been discussed in Gille's story, below is the summary of the difference between a portal and a door of dimensions.
- Portal: Momentary door connecting two specific dimensions. It can only be conjured by wizard or sorcerer/sorceress. Only people with magical ability can pass through.
- Door of dimensions: Door connecting virtually all dimensions. It can be opened and directed by wizard or sorcerer/sorceress. It cannot be conjured. Only people with magical ability can pass through. The door has its own magic (or whims as explained in David's story) and sometimes can't be controlled by even the most powerful sorcerer/sorceress. Thus, it can allow ordinary people to step through, which is the only way for them to get pass on their own.
Both have occured since the beginning (even in David's story). However, since the story is told by the characters' point of view and knowledge. Their knowledge, if inadequate can be inaccurate. For example, David mistakened every single door to other dimensions as door of dimensions until he actually learned about it. He had thought the Black Leaf members opened a door of dimensions in the valley to kidnap Brigitte whereas it was only a portal. He learned the difference (shown in Gille's story ;) ).
These rules are always followed as principles. However, since magic is involved, it can be bent ( read the stories in details ;) ).
I hope you enjoy the mystery of the Door of Dimensions world. And of course, these are only basic rules. The world will expand and elaborate its complexity in the stories. All stories of the main series and off the series (the ones exclusive on blogs ;) ) happen in Door of Dimensions world and thus, follow all its rules.
Of course, if you're confused and want to clarify a detail, you can always send me an email or ask in a comment. Enjoy the mystery and the magic! :)