It's been more than a year that I published my first story "Sweet Escape". It's been a great journey for me. I know I got a lot of criticism about language and I have no excuse for that. Originally, I intended this website for my characters only. Since Gille's story is going to be waited awhile to be published, I think I should open up and let readers know more about me. Here is a short Q&A on Smashwords that let people know more about me as a person.
Below is that same short interview Q&A :)
1. Where did you grow up, and how did this influence your writing?
I grew up in Asia. The odd thing is that I went to bilingual school since primary school. Hence, my writing style in Asia was often criticized (in school) as a hybrid between French logical and descriptive images. I grew up not liking a lot of literature, I felt constricted by those criticism and rules. After I came to the United States and learned English through fiction novels, I discovered that I could write a story with my sense of humor with freedom. Doing it is so enjoyable to me.
2. What motivated you to become an indie author?
I love freestyle writing. I don't want any set rule to constrain me. I want a romance with comedy, witty dialogue and fast pace. I can never claim myself as an English major or a poet. Being an indie author allows me to write a story in my own way and simply writing it was enjoyable to me.
3. When did you first start writing?
Around 2008, I was learning English and I had been reading a lot of novels. I found a lot of them predictable and thus some bored me. Don't get me wrong, I love the happy ending but I want an interesting journey to that ending. I was mostly keep to myself at that time; therefore, my imagination was my best friend. It sounded unreal but the characters came to me and I enjoyed their stories. I loved them so much that I wrote them down.
4. How do you discover the ebooks you read?
Browsing the genre I like. You never know, a great book might have a boring title or an unknown author's name but I can enjoy it so much. Heck, all of my favorite books were from authors that I hadn't heard of prior to reading their books.
5. What are your five favorite books, and why?
Hm, this is tough....
1) Harry Potter - Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K Rowling Harry Potter is my first favorite book series. I literally skipped sleep to finish the book. The twist, all the details built in, the vivid descriptive language kept me turning the pages.
2) Eternity by Maggie Shayne: I'm a hopeless romantic person. Something about true love that transcends time and tragedy is absolutely beautiful.
3) Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward: Yes, you get the jazz, I like paranormal romance! This book moved me because of the devotion in the relationship and hey, Rhage was sexy!!
4) Flirting With Danger by Suzanne Enoch: I do read some contemporary romance :P. I love this book. It's sassy, funny and unpredictable. Mmmmmmm!
5) Must Love Dragons by Stephanie Rowe: This book is plain funny. I love witty dialogue, this keep me interested in a romantic book.
6. What's the story behind your latest book?
My latest book is about Richard and Marguerite's love story. They each have their own challenge and wants and it's how they come to make a decision. I love their story which is funny and more adventurous than the first story of Door of Dimensions series.
7. How has Smashwords contributed to your success?
I love Smashwords. I was able to reach certain readers and was able to get feedbacks. Since I have a busy personal life, Smashwords gives me maximum freedom in how I want to sell my books and a chance to get feedbacks from my readers which I value the most.
8. What do your fans mean to you?
EVERYTHING!!!! I love it when someone enjoy my story. I don't care if I don't make a profit. I just want people to let me know if they like my stories and characters.
9. What are you working on next?
Gille's story. It's much longer than my previous stories and it extends on more background information on the characters including history and culture. I'm really excited about it.